Search This Blog

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Still Raining in Manly & Up the mast Location: 27 27.447S 153 11.397E

   Yesterday I continued the process of replacing my twin back stays on the boat. I had guyed up the mast good with rope the previous day and lowered the Starboard back stay before the rain started and then it rained the rest of the day. Then yesterday I went up the mast just as the wind was picking up and by the time I was at the top the boat was swaying and the gusts of wind were plucking at me at the top of the mast, so I just tied the new stay off and decided to do the rest when the wind died a bit. The radio was putting out a strong wind warning for the day.  Today I went up the mast at 6AM  before the wind started again and finished the job and then later today between the rain showers replaced the 2nd stay as winds were okay.
There are masts steps on my mast to make the job easier being by myself, and I used a jumar ascender that I slid up a halyard to belay myself in case of a slip.

  We had some heavy rain a couple of days ago and now the Mary river is in danger of flooding. This river is about 50 miles North of us and is a place we are considering hauling out later. There is another heavy rain warning for SE Queensland for tonight (that's us) so will see what happens.  The radio news is saying almost half of Queensland has been flooded to various degrees.  Queensland is 1,727,000 sq km.   almost twice as big as British Columbia (home)

I am spending a lot of time on the computer these days sitting out the rain and with Dorothy away.  I'm going to be real boring now and tell you what I did for dinner.  I cooked up some hamburger meat and noodles and after they were about done I realized I forgot to buy pasta sauce.  So ate with just the meat mixed in and the noodles and I also cooked up some broccoli  which I dumped on top and ate the works after dividing in half so enough for 2 days.  Yumm.  Maybe I will by some pasta sauce for the left overs for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment